Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

Keep Quite or Speak Up?

Your thoughts:

One day you get a leaflet through your letterbox, from a mystery poster and the leaflet claims that an attempted rape was made on the poster, by another neighbour on that street and that the attempted rapist was arested, but due to lack of evidence, not charged.

The leaflet also states that they were notifying the whole neighbourhood and shops, so that the neighbourhood can keep themselves safe.

A few weeks later the police knock on your door and ask you if you'd received a leaflet about "about another neighbour, being accused of being an attempted rapist".

Do you admit to the police that you'd received the leaflet and help them with their queries?

Update:

On the leaflet is the picture of the attempted rapist fleeing down the stairs, half naked after his attempt failed.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes.

You didn't distribute the leaflet, and lying to the police is generally best avoided.

Also - a leaflet isn't proof, nor is the photo necessarily relevant.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I'd not keep quiet (not 'quite') and I'd tell the police all I knew.

The person who sent the leaflet could be a vindictive ex of the neighbour, a trouble-maker or simply a liar.

Accusing people of a serious crime without evidence is illegal and potentially very damaging to an innocent person.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.