Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is 3 & 1/2 years a long enough sentence for child molestation?

When I was 13, I was molested by a neighbor.

It only happened once, and he was arrested that same day.

They put him away for 3 & 1/2 years and I can't help but feel like that wasn't nearly long enough, considering he told them himself that he had been intending to rape me (thankfully he was never able to) and that at first he thought I was 7 or 8 instead of 13 because of how I behaved (I'm autistic).

A part of me feels a little sorry for him since he was in his 70s at the time and apparently had Dementia (he'd gone off his meds), but another part of me doesn't see that as a valid excuse for what he did and thinks he should have gotten more than just 3 & 1/2 years in prison.

Update:

Also, it wasn't just me he'd done that to, he'd apparently also done it to his own daughter and granddaughter, along with another girl who was staying at the RV park area across the street from our neighborhood at the time...

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

First of all, I am sorry that it happened to you.

The dementia is a mitigating factor in the sentencing. Since it was proven that he was suffering long before the event, there was some reason for the sentence.

In truth, many sex offenders are given between 2-6 years, and have a long time on the registry.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.