Kathy
Kathy asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

Why is it unreasonable for a customer to get upset when told that where they went to is closed?

when/if the business hours aren't posted anywhere and/or the store/cashier register looks completely open

I know people don't work 24/7 but workplaces are allowed to force employees to work overtime.

And I presume that the store or cashier would have to deal with the customer for only a few minutes not an hour.

Favorite Answer

The store sets their own hours based on costs of keeping it open versus income able to be taken in.  'Dead' time is eliminated,  meaning stores close for hours that are not profitable. 

Just because you think a business SHOULD be open doesn’t mean it is. Employees have other obligations besides work, and are trying to close up and go home. They certainly aren’t gonna turn equipment back on, and make more work for themselves. I work in a pizzeria, and once I start closing up, I’m only selling slices that are left on the counter. I’m not gonna turn the fryers back on, or make anything new. And those slices will be served in a to-go box. Once I close the register, I don’t accept any more customers at all. Im just trying to clean up and go home. You must have a pretty entitled attitude if you think an employee should have to stay longer just to serve a customer that doesn’t want to accept that the business is closed. Even if it’s not against store policy to serve customers after closing time, they still have busses to catch, rides waiting, babysitters to relieve, daycare pickups, appointments, and plenty of other things to do. The world doesn’t revolve around you. You should get things done while a business is still open. It’s incredibly selfish and rude to expect them to stay longer and do extra work just because you can’t respect their hours of business. It’s not up to you to decide if a business should serve you, or if they appear open. Rules are rules, and they apply to you just like everyone else. 

If the cashier is an employee he doesn't decide the working hours, so there's no point in getting angry with him. If it's the store owner, it's his choice to close the store whenever he wants.

"workplaces are allowed to force employees to work overtime"

Depends on the workplace and I doubt all employees would be happy or willing to work overtime for no benefit.

"the store or cashier would have to deal with the customer for only a few minutes not an hour"

The cashier is probably an employee and doesn't care about you at all. He only needs to deal with customers when the store is open and has no reason to stay overtime and waste any minute if he isn't getting paid overtime (which he probably isn't).

It's the same as asking some random person to take time out of his life for no reason to help you for no benefit and finding it unreasonable if they refuse because they don't care about you.