Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why do really devout Christians ask God to punish them?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

These people are deceived that's why.

They THINK THEY THEMSELVES can atone for their own sins by being punished - which is absolute rubbish.

We DESERVE to be punished for our sins, but God decided that HE WOULD TAKE OUR PUNISHMENT FOR US.Β  So He came to earth in a physical body (called Jesus Christ) and HE HIMSELF, died on the cross FOR US, as THE LAMB OF GOD WHO TAKES AWAY THE SINS OF THE WORLD.

By one offering, Jesus Christ has perfected FOREVER, those who are sanctified (Hebrews 10:14) because we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ ONCE FOR ALL. (Hebrews 10:10)

• Joe
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

No Christian I have ever heard of asks God to punish them.

• 2 months ago

God is known to chastise those who he loves.

• 2 months ago

i am a devout Christian, and i do NOT ask Him to punish me, even though i know God will do so.

Gal_6:8Β  For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

i have sowed to the flesh MUCH. i am not asking God to punish me, but i know that God does not LIE, and therefore what He says He will do, He WILL DO. Therefore i am going to most certainly suffer in my flesh corruption as a punishment from God.

https://youtu.be/bvHS4F6ywJI

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

We as Christians do not pray for punishment but pray for forgiveness of our sins and that Jesus will help us walk the Christian walk. we confess our sins and he is faithful to forgive us if we truly have a change of heart and mean it. Thanks for the question.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.