Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Which sentence is grammatically correct ?

1. Would you mind telling me what happened to your mom?

2. Would you mind telling me what has happened to your mom?

Favorite Answer

They're both correct, with slightly different meanings.  Generally, #1 refers to a narrower space of time than #2.  If I ask, "What happened to you?", I may be referring to the immediate past, like an hour ago, or yesterday.  For example, if we were supposed to meet, and you didn't show up, I might ask that.  If I ask, "What has happened to you?", I mean over a longer range of time, like in the few months or years.  So if I haven't seen you in a while and I notice you've changed, I might ask that.

They're both just incomprehensible gibberish.