Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Should we rent or buy in Florida?

My wife and I am moving down to Florida in one year. We are going down there with about 400,000 in cash from the sale of a home. I looked at homes down there they are about 350,000 for what we want. Don't wanna part with all that money do you guys recommend renting or should we put down a down payment and buy. We're both about 60.

Cape Coral in SW Florida has homes starting in the high $100,000's. Feel free to contact me.

Rent first, and live there for a full year.  This will allow you to figure out exactly where you want to buy, and to experience both the summer and winter weather conditions (plus hurricane season) to decide if you prefer being further north or south, or more inland or coastal.  It will also help you to decide what features are most important to you in a home in that climate.