Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

Is a blood test for potassium levels necessary to prescribe birth control?

I have PCOS and my doctor is asking me to take a blood test to see potassium levels. She originally tried to prescribe me a medicine that would only help with the excess hair problem; she needed a potassium blood test for that, but I said that I did not want it. She is still asking for a blood test so I started to research and I couldn't find a reason for why she needed a blood test for just birth control. So is it really necessary for only "the pill?"

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Some of the older birth control pills can lower potassium levels while some of the newer ones can raise potassium levels. 

When you say you don't want it done does that mean there's some sort of psychopathology involved, immunity issues or what? Why would your doctor tell you they needed a potassium level and yet you don't believe them and come here to ask why? Don't you find that strange at all?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.