Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is it emotional abuse to put these thoughts in a child's head?

Ever since I was a little kid I was labelled a "smart kid" not GT smart, but smart. So grades meant a lot to me. I don't remember who put this thought in my head, but someone told me (I think it was one of my family members?) That if I didn't study hard and go to college and all that, I would never get a job and I would end up homeless. It's one of the biggest reasons I am so afraid to grow up because still to this day, I'm scared out of my mind that I'll grow up to be a homeless girl living under a bridge. Would causing that kind of worry about me being older be considered emotional abuse or am I just stupid?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It's not emotional abuse, but neither are you stupid for worrying. Whoever told you that the fate of those who don't study/go to college is to become homeless was exaggerating in their attempt to convince you of the importance of college and a career, but their reasons for the exaggeration were most likely NOT to make you anxious but to encourage you. The fact that the result was to make you anxious is unfortunate, but not exactly predictable. So no, it wasn't abuse, but you certainly took it badly and it apparently has made you anxious. 

• 1 month ago

A lot of us were told that. It's the American dream. Most of us lived up to expectations. Stop trying to lay the blame for your failures on someone else. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.