Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in News & EventsOther - News & Events · 2 months ago

man pleads guilty to two counts of second-degree murder despite family's objections – Is this good or bad criminal justice? ?

Article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/lansing-man-p...

No pro or con argument about defunding police here. They did their job … as per usual. I’m just curious where the public stands on this one with regard to lenient paroles, plea bargaining, concurrent sentences and more. Pretty difficult not to be considered a racist by someone whatever you think is appropriate justice.

Favorite Answer

personally, i think all degrees of murder should have automatic execution or life sentences.  including attempted murder - no reason for leniency because of incompetency.

in this case the prosecutor was just being efficient, and getting a killer off the streets for at least 20+ years is always a good result.  don't let the perfect or ideal be the enemy of the good.  

The legal system should determine guilt or innocence as well as the penalty if it's "guilty" (which a plea deal is), not family members who are not educated in the law.  The fact that the jails/prisons are vastly overcrowded plays a big part in this.  That's my legal opinion.  My personal opinion is that my Dad was killed by a drunk driver.  It was the drunk driver's third offense.  He got his hands slapped the first two times.