Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How do register my vehicle in IL while in the military?

I am currently stationed in CA and I have a SC drivers license from my previous duty station. I would like to register my vehicles in IL (my home of record). What do I need to get my registration?

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    You are REQUIRED to register your vehicle in any State where you reside longer than 6 months.   You cannot register your vehicle in a State where you do not reside.  The EXCEPTION is if you are in the Military service, IF you use a permanent residence address out of the State where you are stationed.  For example, my husband was stationed in California, but he maintained his NYS drivers license and registration because that was his permanent address.  I suspect the SC license could be an issue.  I know it's probably impossible to get through to DMV, but I think your insurance carrier could give you the information.


    Thank you for your service!

  • Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    If you don't have a license, then give them a call. If you need a license, then you best get started

  • 2 months ago

    Wow, thanks Anonymous. It's almost like I tried that but I don't have an IL license anymore. But apparently you can't read...

    Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    I guess the bar is pretty low for letting people into the military these days because even a morion knows to check the Illinois dept of vehicles website for information. Read and learn -

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    You need an Illinois address.  If you have relatives in that state, ask if you can use their mailing address.  then you have to get something mailed to you at that address so you can show the DMV.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.