How do register my vehicle in IL while in the military?

I am currently stationed in CA and I have a SC drivers license from my previous duty station. I would like to register my vehicles in IL (my home of record). What do I need to get my registration?

Favorite Answer

You are REQUIRED to register your vehicle in any State where you reside longer than 6 months.   You cannot register your vehicle in a State where you do not reside.  The EXCEPTION is if you are in the Military service, IF you use a permanent residence address out of the State where you are stationed.  For example, my husband was stationed in California, but he maintained his NYS drivers license and registration because that was his permanent address.  I suspect the SC license could be an issue.  I know it's probably impossible to get through to DMV, but I think your insurance carrier could give you the information.

.

Thank you for your service!

• Ron

If you don't have a license, then give them a call. If you need a license, then you best get started

Wow, thanks Anonymous. It's almost like I tried that but I don't have an IL license anymore. But apparently you can't read...

I guess the bar is pretty low for letting people into the military these days because even a morion knows to check the Illinois dept of vehicles website for information. Read and learn - https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/veh...

You need an Illinois address.  If you have relatives in that state, ask if you can use their mailing address.  then you have to get something mailed to you at that address so you can show the DMV.