Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

Should I let my advisor attend my presentation at an academic conference?

I am an undergrad working on my honors thesis under the guidance of my academic advisor. I am presenting my work for the first time at few virtual academic conferences next month.  

I know that "let" is a weird way of putting it - my advisor can attend, and I can't force her not to. What I mean is I know she would rather listen to me present at the conferences, but I would feel painfully uncomfortable knowing she was in attendance. She says she will do whatever I am more comfortable with, but I know she will feel bad if I say I don't want her there. 

I love my advisor and she's worked hard with me on preparing the project, so I think she deserves to go. But it would make me SO anxious if she did, and I don't know why. Should I just get over it and tell her I don't mind if she attends, or is it not a big deal if she doesn't go? I feel mean and immature - but I don't think the former is true!

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.