Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Garage door opener replacement question?

I have a lift master garage door opener (with the yellow learner button). The old remote was stolen out of my car. If I buy a replacement opener will it make the other one ineffective? 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

ah, better question.  the answer is NO.  what you have to do is reset the opener so that it no longer recognizes any opener, then buy the new opener and get the opener to 'learn' its unique code.  how to reset is in the owner's manual -- grampa   [if there is a second remote for a second car, the opener will have to learn that one all over again.]  {We can't cite the exact procedure because you didn't give us the model number.}

• 2 months ago

An easy way to tell if your garage door sensors are out of alignment is by checking if the exterior LED light blinks when you attempt to close the door. Green lights mean the sensors are working, while red lights indicate the sensors are not aligned.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The opener will remember the old one until you wipe its memory. Hold the LEARN button about 6 seconds until the LED goes out. Then add the new remote and re-do the keypad.

• 2 months ago

Buying a new remote won't, buy putting the opener in learn mode will erase ALL codes.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

When you get the new one, you will have to match the code for the opener and the remote.   There should be instructions on how to do that.  But on most openers, there is a way to change the code.  You should be able to find the instructions on the internet.  In the meantime, you should unplug the opener so that it cannot be operated by the crook who stole the remote.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.