How can I politely tell my grandson to give up on his dreams?

Hello Yahoo!

My grandson wants to be a doctor, which is a very nice ambition but as a doctor myself I see no future in the medical industry for him. To put it lightly, he's very stupid and talentless at everything he does. He can't even cook an egg if he tried. I want to tell him to not even bother trying without upsetting him, he's turning 9 years old soon and I would hate to ruin his birthday. 

Thank you! 

Favorite Answer

Let him crash and burn like a helicopter. 

He's turning 9 soon? He just looks up to you is probably all it is, and I would encourage him to explore what he's interested in. When he's older, his opinions will probably change change, or he might actually do really well with medical studies. Plus, most kids who say they want to be lawyers/doctors say it because of pressures from parents- not to mention that wanting to be a doctor is just a generic job at this age. He probably just likes the idea of helping people, so encourage him! Trust me, this will really help him in the long run, and you could risk harming your relationship if you put him down at such a young age.

I think you're being judgmental and more than a little CRUEL, for no reason whatsoever. The child is only 9, for Pete's sake. There's no way you can predict what he will grow up to be, and telling him that he's stupid is NOT GOING to help him or you. And whether he can cook an egg has no bearing on whether he could potentially pursue a medical career. I have trouble cooking eggs (other than scrambling them) myself, and I'm past 50 and have a college degree.

You're also being STUPID yourself for not wanting your grandson to succeed in life. Most normal adults want that for their kids and grand kids. WHY DON'T YOU??

• L

NEVER squash a child's dreams!  You need to be happy he's even considering this.  Since he's only 8-years of age..................just give it time...............I'm sure, by high school, he will be focusing on other career choices.

Hallmark probably has a card for that.

Mummy left you on your own today, eh?

Wow, you are really confused, aren't you?!  First you write that silly story about your son being a bast@rd and now this little story about a grandson with the same doctor theme.  So obviously you have neither a son nor a grandson and I'd bet you aren't a doctor either.  Here's the thing about story telling, it has to be somewhat believable.  You've now failed that task entirely.  Try again later.