Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 2 months ago

Is the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table true ?

Lady in/of the lake,  Excalibur...

what do we currently know about King Arthur and these supposed 'Knights of the round table' ?

who was King Arthur ?

was there a lady of the lake ? was there a sword called Excalibur ? what age would such a King have existed I wonder ?

as I type this I'm getting goosebumps just imagining if all of this was real..

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Archer
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Most folk lore, superstitions and wives tails are based "very loosely" in some knowledge, people and events but they are not historical in nature.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Hey, Mr AA is it that long ago that the reds won the title? 

Feeling very depressed for you this evening after the loss to Chelsea. I bet my son is feeling a bit mythed. Is that why you have changed the subject to King Arthur? 

Why don't I blame you ....... 

It's not so good at the mo is it. Liverpool in free fall.

I hope Jurgen can rally his troops it would be awful if he got his marching orders. 

Never mind King Arthur folklore what we need is some good nights on the Kop!

lol? 

• 2 months ago

Short answer:  no.  However.....

There  may have been  a Romano-Celtic warlord, possibly from Southwest England (although scholars suggest other places) who fought AGAINST the English - basically, the Anglo-Saxons.  He used cavalry in his battles which was unusual then, but it turned out to be very effective.  This was somewhere around 500AD, so long before knights, and castles,  and all that.  He is said to have won 12 battles, and was killed in the 13th one.

While there are some stories about him, especially in Welsh triads, there is very little written that is anywhere close to his time.  Geoffery of Monmouth wrote a medieval romance many hundreds of years after Arthur may have lived, and it is from his writing that we get many of the things like Merlin, Excalibur, etc.  Since then, the stories have expanded greatly, adding invented details.

The truth, if it is there, is very scant.  So much so that few scholars even think that Arthur was real.  For those who accept that he existed, they state that he was NOT a king (more of a warlord).  And, much of what we think about him today is total fantasy.

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There are 2 possibilities for Arthur and the timeline for both men is around the time the Roman legions were being withdrawn from Britain and the Angles, Saxons, Jutes invaded the island.  

The Welsh Chronicles do mention a warrior whose name is translated into English as Arthur.  The other Arthur may have been a Roman soldier stationed at Hadrian's Wall.  

The only thing that is known for certain is that there was a noted warlord.  Tintagel is a real place and was  noted for trade.  

Some of the stories about Arthur come come from  later French sources. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.