Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 month ago

Is constant ashy cracked hands a symptom of diabetes ?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Rita
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

For example, people with autoimmune disorders, such as diabetes or lupus, may have lowered blood circulation to the hands. This causes their hands to get irritated more easily. Eczema and psoriasis, two conditions that cause skin inflammation, can also cause dry hands, skin peeling, and cracking.

• Shay
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No.  It is a symptom of dry skin which can have MANY causes. 

The most common causes of dry skin would be cold weather, washing hands often, and using hand sanitizers.  (all of which are fairly common right now depending on your location)

There are also some skin conditions that can cause it. 

Start by using a decent hand lotion that is intended for dry skin.  Using a good hand lotion every day can usually fix this problem within just a few days of using it.  (but you need to keep using it anytime you see the issue starting again.)  I also use baby oil after showers to help my dry skin.  Put baby oil on your wet skin and then wait about five minutes and pat the skin dry.  It does wonders for cracked looking skin.

If that doesn't help, contact a dermatologist.  

I have had issues with cracked hands for YEARS - even when I was a teenager - and I am NOT a diabetic.   For me, the problem always shows up when the weather gets cold.  

• 1 month ago

More a symptom of dry skin. Either washing too often or using hand sanitizer, both of which will strip the natural oils from your skin. A good moisturizing lotion, cream or oil, should take care of that.

I've been diabetic since 2001, and the only time my hands get cracked and dry to the point of being ashy, is when I'm chopping wood, digging in the dirt or washing cars with soap to strip old wax off before washing and re-waxing. Or using a strong disinfectant soap (hospital grade), too often, without using some sort of moisturizer for dry skin. 

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No sounds like eczema 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No.                      

Edit: It appears that I've upset some imbecile. ;-)  I pity that person's lack of intelligence and/or understanding. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.