Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Struggles of living in house share or living alone during UK Lockdown?

I'm 23 year old man and am thinking of moving out and living by myself as I can't stand my family a they're giving me no freedom and 8pm curfew. So I'm interested to hear opinions from young adults. What do you do for free time, and how do you cope in UK lockdown with living out?

I live alone, I moved out last year. But honestly I sometimes wish I was with my family. Its quite lonely and boring not having dinner with anyone, watching a film etc. Its nice having my own space and doing what I want when I want, but I prefer to live with family to be honest. Maybe a house share wouldn't feel as bad but probably depends on the people.

As long as you have your own bathroom and kitchen area, house share is probably better than living alone and paying more on bills etc.

• ?

i would just move out if you wanted more freedom

• Craig

If you're paying rent, you should be able to determine your own comings and goings.  If your parents are allowing you to live with them rent-free at 23, you're obliged to comply with any conditions they establish, no matter how much they compromise your adult sovereignty. 

If you're paying rent and they STILL insist on unreasonable restrictions (MORE than are required to let them live under their own roof in exactly the manner they want, and remain as safe from COVID as they would be were you not living with them) then the thing to do is NOT hate them, but to move out on your own.  

You'll have to find the income and the accommodations to do that - but that's what EVERY 20-something should be working on.  It's not easy in this economy, which is why millions of young people are finding themselves in your situation.  That's nothing to mourn, or take out on your family.  It's just an inescapable fact of economics.  

In the past during times like these, people your age would be forced out into alleys or the roadside, to make their way by odd jobs, begging, and thieving - or to starve.  Hopefully the economic climate will improve and you'll be able to find steady income.  Until then, count your blessings and keep looking.