Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

Could a woman die from blocking her period blood from exiting her uterus?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Impossible.  Even if she uses tampons - it will still come out.

• D_21
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Obviously it's supposed to come out. Realistically, there's only two ways it would be blocked from exiting the body.

1) if the woman has an imperforate hymen. Which is actually at the opening to the vagina.Here I think the concerns would be the blood sitting in the body and possibly growing bacteria.

Similar to urine, and a bladder infection. Urine is sterile when it's produced, but the longer it sits in the body the more opportunity there is for bacteria to build up in the bladder and eventually lead to an infection. You're not supposed to hold it forever. Also ultimately if the bladder is full and not releasing while the kidneys continue to function (producing more urine) ...then the pee has to go somewhere. I imagine it would back up into the ureters. The pressure in the bladder would be uncomfortable. If the kidney function is impacted then you have renal failure, along with the possibility of blood toxicity, both of which result in death if left untreated.

With period blood it's the reproductive system not the urinary. Same concept though. The blood sitting in the vagina unreleased could potentially upset the natural balance of bacteria and vaginal flora...resulting in possible infection. If you have an infection that your immune system is not able to handle you die. Long story short, that's the end result of infection.

If you continue to product period blood for more than one cycle without it releasing then I imagine that one way or another you would become very uncomfortable.

This is why when someone has the rare imperforate hymen, they go to a doctor to have a procedure performed that creates an opening in the hymen. This allows for menstrual fluid to leave the body.

2) if you use a foreign object (anything that isn't part of the body) to intentionally block the flow. Here the concern is that the object would encourage bacterial overgrowth in the body, leading to a dangerous infection most commonly known as Toxic Shock Syndrome. Left unnoticed or untreated TSS can in fact be fatal.

Anything inserted into the body should ideally be sanitary and/or sterilized. As free of micro organisms as possible. Menstrual product users should follow the directions provided by the manufacturers of the products they choose to use. The general rule to go by is to not leave anything in the vagina for longer than 8hours at a time.

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

That's about as likely as plugging your anus and refusing to take a dump for weeks. In both cases, you'd get sepsis along with many unpleasant symptoms that would force you to deal with the problem.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It does not sound healthy as depending on the method, it could cause a bacterial build-up. Nothing should be left in there for more than 8 hours without changing and I would err on the side of caution and say it should be far more frequently than that. With a menstrual cup I believe it's recommended for 8 hours but you have to follow the instructions so as to prevent toxic shock syndrome.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • hammy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Tampons aborb blood but if you're not talking about tampons then I wouldn't mess with my body.

Don't EVER mess with your body. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.