Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Is there any polite way to tell my neighbors that their dog barks too much?

So hear me out: I also have a dog. He is trained and has manners, and when he barks too darn much, he's told to be quiet or to come in the house. The neighbors behind us also have a dog, but they let the thing bark, and bark, and BARK. I feel like I can't even go into my own backyard without being barked at the whole time, which has happened. They come out and don't tell the dog anything. Any time this dog is outside, all he does is BARK. Incessantly! My dog goes out to potty, there he is, barking his head off at my dog. 

Can I go over there and tell them to tell their dog to stop it, or to pull him in at least? We have dogs all over the neighborhood, and I get that they bark, but this one does it all the time, at the slightest thing and only stops when we are all inside. My neighbors come out, he barks. I go out, he barks. Next door goes out, he barks. It's getting really annoying. Can I leave a note, knock on the door? Anyone else have a problem like this, or did? I just can't believe they let him bark for as long as he does with no training! 

Also, this is fairly new. I saw the dog as a puppy, and 3 months later, he's now nothing but all barking and it's driving me nuts. My next door neighbor is too polite to say anything, but it drives him nuts, too.

Favorite Answer

The dog is still a puppy.  

Anyhow, certainly you can politely knock on the door and talk to the neighbor about how it bothers you.  I recommend doing it face to face for best results.  Maybe he could get a bark collar or something.  It won't stop the dog from barking for a good reason, only nonsense barking.  

A dog that's barking all the time is not a happy dog.

YES.  You call your local code enforcement office.  THEY will go round and tell the neighbors and threaten a fine if they get another complaint.  Leaves your name totally out of it.

dog lovers do this all the time. just call the police on them

• Maxi

I own dogs and as it is my choice I don't want them to bother other people so make sure like you they don't bark or upset others.

If it is a nuisance then go and speak to them directly and as kindly/positively as you can BUT it could cause you more trouble.... there is nothing worse than having someone living near you who becomes nasty, won't speak or slanders you just because you have asked them to stop their dog being a nuisance barker.

Lady next to me has a dog like this, barks at everything, I simply close the door so I don't hear him and always stop mine from joining in...however 'someone' posted her a letter about her dog barking and she was around to see me like a shot ( I had not long moved in) ,told her I would speak to her directly and as she already knows I always tell him to 'stop shouting' ( and he does as it is attention seeking with him and lack of daily lead walking to use up his excess energy) but she was convinced it was the other people who lived the other side.this was 18 months ago and  she has accused them, they denied it  I personally don't think it was them as they have lived next door for 8 yrs and also have their own dogs  .... now and for the last 18 months there has been nothing but trouble between them, along with threats of legal action ( if she keeps slandering them) and I do my best to keep out of it all...and her dog still barks, so nothing changed with that

Dog lovers represent the 3 evil monkeys. They see no barking hear no barking and will not speak barking.

You are better off calling the police, animal control or taking care of it yourself. 

Dog lovers lack respect. They don't want to listen or cooperate. 

You've been warned.