Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Am I safe to drive home with a cracked windshield?

I just noticed a small crack yesterday, I tried to find a place to get it fixed before it spread but everywhere was closed by the time I got off work. Well on my way to work this morning it spread from the bottom drivers side where it started to across the bottom to the passengers side. Also it's looks like it started pretty close to the frame. I'm debating whether I should drive home from work today or play it safe and call a tow truck. It's about a 40 mile drive.

• Rita

Can I Drive with a Cracked Windshield? It's generally not dangerous to drive with a small crack in the windshield, but damaged glass should be repaired or replaced as soon as possible for two important reasons: Windshields weakened by damage provide less protection. Cracked windshields decrease visibility.

You're probably home, now. Your insurance will pay for it. All policies. If you can't find a windshield repair, take it to a body shop. Safelight is everywhere.

People drive that way until the Police decide to pull them over all the time. Just drive it.

It is safe unless you cannot SEE anything.

The only safety issue would be if it obstructs your view.

IF YOU GET INTO THE CAR roll down a window a bit before you slam the door.  If the door window is closed it is building up pressure every time you slam the door and it looks for the "Weakest link"  Your cracked window sure raced along because you were slamming the door.  You need another piece of glass. There is no repair.

. You can drive home even if it is 100 miles on a bumpy road.  It is not in your line of vision(to be able to see cars & people in front of you so is still legal)  That crack could stay like that for YEARS.

It must suck to not have the slightest clue. Please go turn in your driving license until you get one.

Yes, go home. Call a glass repair service  to come replace the windshield.

• Yes.  You are safe to drive it way way more than that. 

Oh dear lord no. The sucker could implode any minute and since it's glued to the frame destroy the car's structural integrity, causing the whole thing to collapse and veer off into a ditch.

No, the worst that could happen is you getting a ticket for an obstructed windshield because you sassed the cop who pulled you over for speeding.