Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Am I safe to drive home with a cracked windshield?

I just noticed a small crack yesterday, I tried to find a place to get it fixed before it spread but everywhere was closed by the time I got off work. Well on my way to work this morning it spread from the bottom drivers side where it started to across the bottom to the passengers side. Also it's looks like it started pretty close to the frame. I'm debating whether I should drive home from work today or play it safe and call a tow truck. It's about a 40 mile drive.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Rita
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Can I Drive with a Cracked Windshield? It's generally not dangerous to drive with a small crack in the windshield, but damaged glass should be repaired or replaced as soon as possible for two important reasons: Windshields weakened by damage provide less protection. Cracked windshields decrease visibility.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You're probably home, now. Your insurance will pay for it. All policies. If you can't find a windshield repair, take it to a body shop. Safelight is everywhere.

• 1 month ago

People drive that way until the Police decide to pull them over all the time. Just drive it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is safe unless you cannot SEE anything.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The only safety issue would be if it obstructs your view.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

IF YOU GET INTO THE CAR roll down a window a bit before you slam the door.  If the door window is closed it is building up pressure every time you slam the door and it looks for the "Weakest link"  Your cracked window sure raced along because you were slamming the door.  You need another piece of glass. There is no repair.

. You can drive home even if it is 100 miles on a bumpy road.  It is not in your line of vision(to be able to see cars & people in front of you so is still legal)  That crack could stay like that for YEARS.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It must suck to not have the slightest clue. Please go turn in your driving license until you get one.

• 1 month ago

Yes, go home. Call a glass repair service  to come replace the windshield.

• Yes.  You are safe to drive it way way more than that. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Oh dear lord no. The sucker could implode any minute and since it's glued to the frame destroy the car's structural integrity, causing the whole thing to collapse and veer off into a ditch.

No, the worst that could happen is you getting a ticket for an obstructed windshield because you sassed the cop who pulled you over for speeding.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.