Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Why do irish and italians get (or at least used to) married often?

I see movies set in the past and they often talk about irish italian mixed marriages. Why do these cultures get along so well instead of english/italians? Does this have to do with catholicism? Or with temper/culture/mentality

• Marli
    Favorite Answer

Wrong category.  Movies are not books and Books and Authors is about books. 

Try "Cultures and Groups" in the 'Societies and Cultures" category.

My guess is that the Irish and the Italian immigrants to New York City in the 1800s and early 1900s lived in the same neighborhoods and their kids went to the same public schools. They knew each other. They fought each other. They fought with each other against outsiders. So since the kids knew each other on their turf, they married each other. Jews lived there too, but Catholics and Jews seldom married each other.   The movies and books about Five Points, the Bowery and such places say that those neighborhoods were tough. The Irish ward bosses and the Irish bosses in Boston were not unlike Italian godfathers to the people in their areas,  no matter their origins: "I help you get settled and get jobs. You give me and mine your votes and help. Favor for favor." 

They're both predominantly Catholics (or at least used to be).  So yes, it's about  compatible religious tendencies.

If this had been asked in Society & Culture or Movies, I might have answered it.

But, it wasn't.

• ?

Both of those peoples were immigrants in the USA and somewhat discriminated by Protestants because both shared Catholicism. So, they lived on the same areas and obviously mingled.