Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can collection agency put collections on my credit if I’m active duty military and covered under scra?

I’m active duty military but 7 years ago I had t-mobile so I called the company and told them that I was currently living overseas in the military so they put a hold on my account. Now out the blue, there’s a collection on my credit report for it. I honestly forgot about it and thought I was covered under scra. The agency  told me they sent Mail to my address that I was living before I joined the military but obviously I wasn’t living there. I asked the tenants and they said they didn’t get mail for me. 

5 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    Under scra, you should've been able to suspend your cell phone contract/service for the period of time that you were overseas. However, if there was still time remaining on your contract upon return, you would probably be obligated to honor the remainder. Google 'scra, cell phone' to research the rules and see how they apply to your situation and try to discuss it with the agency. If you're being collected on in error for more than the correct amount, and can't work it out with the agency, talk to your base's legal service. You need to resolve this, especially if you have a security clearance, as having credit problems can lead to loss of clearance.

  • 2 months ago

    I called the company and told them that I was currently living overseas in the military

    Translation: You DID NOT submit the proper WRITTEN notice.

    For that reason, you ARE NOT covered under SCRA.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Just because you are AD doesn’t mean you can’t forget your debts in the past or not have it go to collections. You were covered while overseas but YOU forgot to then update your information and PAY the bill.  Unless you have lots of emails and letters stating that you put a hold on it you are screwed. Just pay it 

  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Being AD does not absolve you of paying your debts.  And. SSCRA has limited protection.

    If you cannot prove via email or paper trail that you requested the hold, or that is granted, you may still be liable

  • 2 months ago

    you've been steadily paid for 7 years ... just pay up and forget it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.