Love Animals asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Neutered kitten won't keep cone on?

I got my 7 month old kitten neutered today and we were provided with a cone to stop prevent from interfering with the sutures. The cone came off immediately when we got home and then we got a collar to put in the cone instead of the ribbon. This worked better but he still manages to remove it. We've kept him in his carrier all to to avoid him running around and he still takes the cone off in there, also the position he lays in makes the collar tight around his neck (and if it's any looser he will just take it right off). We even tried cutting a shirt with holes in it for his arms and legs, but he took that off too. So far I haven't seen him licking the surgical site, but I'm afraid when I'm sleeping he will and it will get infected. Please help me I don't know what else to do, I already called the vet before and the best advice they could offer me is the collar thing. Is it really necessary to have the cone on?

I forgot to mention it's nighttime here and I will sleep soon so I can't go out and buy anything

your neutered cat has stitches???  Last male cat I got neutered, they did it by laser and he had no stitches, no cone and no follow up appointment was necessary.  Your vet needs to get with the times.  

• Maxi

Take his collar off see if you have an foam pipe insulation or other foam secure around the collar and put the collar back on...take the cat out of the crate and let it out in the house just not outside........ never used a cone on any of my animals, it makes them feel unbalanced and can cause them to be stressed and reality is the cat was given pain killers and antibiotics so it won't normally bother with the stitches until they start to heal and become itchy 4-6 days time and its a male which is a very easy/quick op it should be back to normal within 24/48 hours........... vets use cones as you pay extra for them and 99% of pets really don't need them...only pets that are particularly naughty and won't leave their stitches alone

• Tasm

Maybe try a thicker collar like ones with spikes or something so he can't slip the cone over it.