Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Amy asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

If I joined active Marines but decided shortly after being in that I’d rather do reserves, could I switch? ?

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    If a person enters active duty - ships out - they are LOCKED IN to their enlistment on active duty. There is no going back or backing out.

    If the person decides at any time before swearing into and signing papers of enlistment into the active USMC on the day of their SHIPPING OUT they can do anything they want. Write their recruiter stating that they want to be released from DEP or not even showing up on shipping day. The service probably wouldn't accept that person for enlistment into the reserves of that service, but they are free to ATTEMPT to enlist in some other US military service.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    It was not you but your SON that joined, stop interfering in his life.  He signed to be ACTIVE Duty for the next 4 years nothing can get him out of that unless he is stupid and screws up or gets injured.  He cannot change his mind and go Reserves

  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    At the end of your contract.. minimum of 4 years.  

  • 2 months ago

    No.  Once you enlist you are in the active duty military according to the contract you signed.  However, if you join the Marine Reserve, complete all of your basic training, and e=want to switch to the regular Marine Corps you can probably do that. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.