Can I claim my daughter as a qualifying dependent if she is married?

My daughter has been living with me the entire year of 2020 she did get married December 31st her husband is in the military though. they both agreed to allow me to claim her since I am the one that has been supporting her so her husband filed his taxes married filing separately, also listed on their stating that somebody else can claim her.

So I did my taxes and I claimed her and they got rejected telling me that somebody has already claimed her which is not true because her husband has sent copies of the taxes and it clearly states that somebody else can claim her as a dependent.

She had no income I supported her the entire year 2020 she lives with me.

Can anybody tell me why the IRS is rejecting my taxes.

• ?

You can claim a dependent exemption for your married child only if she qualifies as your dependent. To claim your child as a dependent, she must be either your: Qualifying child. Qualifying relative.

You have done the obvious, checking the husband's tax return, but why is she listed on it at all?  The correct approach if his income was more than $12,400 was to file MARRIED FILING SEPARATELY.  If they were filed as MFJ with higher income, they are keeping you from claiming her.  (The return can be amended to MFS as long as it is done before 4/15; you would still file on paper.). If they filed MFJ with his income less than $12,400 (you already said her income was zero)-- and claimed nothing other than a refund of withholding, just file by mail.

Note the part about withholding.  They can't claim an education credit (for either one of them) or EIC for example.  

See IRS publication 501.

• 28AKO

The irs just told you someone already claimed her. What else do we need to tell you, as far as i thought she can't be claimed as a dependent unless she's under 19 dec 2020, or under 24 and a full time student. There has to be no tax liability  for either she or her spouse if filing separate returns. Doesn't sound like you can claim her as a dependent.  you need to go to IRS office and speak to someone in person is all i can tell you. We aren't tax specialist and you need to speak with someone that specializes in this

• ?

You're a troll aren't you

Or your stupid as hell

You'd have to file by mail at this point and let them sort it out.  

It IS true that SOMEONE has already claimed her, even if her husband has not.  It could be anyone, anywhere in the world.  The IRS is rejecting your taxes because you tried to file electronically (e-file) after someone, somewhere in the world, claimed her, even if it wasn't him.

Once anyone in the world has claimed someone, even if the claim was fraudulent, even if it was someone who was just putting down random social security numbers, anyone else trying to claim that person must file on paper, by mail, and cannot file electronically (e-file).

• Amy

Why would they get married on 12/31 other than for the express purpose of filing jointly? I think the husband lied to you.

Moreover, why would your daughter agree to let you claim her?  You only get $500 for claiming her. They get a whole lot more for filing jointly. 

Troll smarter, dear.