Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Do police usually ask what you do for a living at a traffic stop & is it custom to hand them your business card?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It's fairly common to ask someone that on a stop, especially if it appears that the person may be going to or coming from work.  It's generally considered a good way to see if the person seems nervous, or potentially impaired.  I wouldn't hand them a business card. 

• 1 month ago

What they ask and say at a traffic stop is part of their training and always intended.  Your answers and facial expression tell them what they want to know vis a vis lies,  danger, stroke, dementia, on drugs and drunk. If asked,a business card would be a logical thing to do.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I have never been asked what I did for a living. Not relevant unless you are a Dr. getting to a emergency or something.  

• 1 month ago

I have been asked what I do for a living during a traffic stop.  I don't know why - maybe he was just trying to get a sense of what kind of person I was.  Handing the cop a business card?  I suppose it's okay, but as always, make sure the cop can see what you are doing with your hands.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No, do not give them your business card. That could come across as you trying to bribe them.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is common for police to make small talk to gauge a person's nervousness or to look for signs of impairment. 

I've never been offered a business card in 24 years. 

• donnie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I mean if they ask you and you have it sure give it to them. They might ask all kinds of questions

• 1 month ago

They may engage you in small talk. They may do that as a way to get a feeling if you are being truthful with them too.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I've been asked.  I am a female in a male profession, Officers find that interesting, I've given out my card.

• hamel5
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It isn't customary.  

But, one time - I was in a residential neighborhood doing an estimate and somebody called me in as suspicious.  I handed the officer a business card and showed him my worksheet and he was off. 

Normally, an officer isn't going to ask your occupation or have any need for your business card.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.