Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 month ago

Postpone back surgery?

I am a 26 y/o female. I am currently in my 2nd semester of nursing school. Classes are online via zoom due to covid except for clinicals.  I have scoliosis and today I found out I need back surgery to correct it as my curve got way worse. The recovery for such a huge surgery would be 4-6 weeks minimum for desk work type activities, which clinicals at the hospital are not. If I wait to get the surgery until after graduation I delay my employment opportunities and Ya girl needs to be bringing in a paycheck. If I do the surgery within the next 3 months, I can do most of my required work because it is online due to covid but would not be able to do as much in clinicals as other students. Im not sure how accomidating or understanding my college would be to that. I could still show up, just wouldnt be able to lift patients or chase patients down the hall.  Im a CNA at the hospital so its not like i have no relevant expirence, and by the time I graduate I should be healed enough to start working as a floor nurse right away. What would you do?

You are in your 2nd semester.  So for a ADN you have 2 semesters left

For your BSN, you have barely started.

Why wouldn't you finish the semester and then have the surgery as soon as summer break hits?

Nursing schools are ruthless. I suppose they must be because the world of nursing itself chews up and spits out nurses continuously.

Such back surgery is a big deal. Perhaps you could take a sabbatical or medical leave and return in the fall? Then, I suggest, concentrate on a field of nursing that isn't as strenuous as say, med-surg. Getting a master's degree in psych nursing could spare you a lot of future back pain.

thats up to you