Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

What is a good name for a character who always seems to be invisible?

I'm writing a story and trying to come up with the name for one of my characters. She always feels like she's invisible and doesn't stand out, but I want a name that means the opposite of that. So something about her standing out and everyone looking up to her. Any suggestions on name meanings?

• Marli

I agree with Lisa. Think of names that you think say, "I  am important. I am famous." There are plenty of people with the names I used below, and they are called Beth, Lizzie, Lexie, Cathy, Di, Annie, Maggie, Lee, and Ella. Nothing special. But the Dianas, Elizabeths, etc pull themselves up straight, fix their gazes, and won't break eye contact until you show respect. It's what they do and how they do it,  how they bring out their confident, or cold, or gracious, or "entitled" personality that makes their names powerful.

It is said that Queen Victoria never looked behind her when she seated herself. She assumed the chair was always placed at the correct distance from her fanny. She was the Queen, so someone would always adjust her chair to her position. She need not adjust her position to accommodate her chair. It was not her "victorious" name that made her great  It was that she showed that she alone was Her Majesty the Queen. If you want that much contrast, the name should make the reader think of women of wealth and power.  A royal's name, like Elizabeth, Catherine, Diana, Alexandra, Margaret, Leia, Anne, Eleanor.  The names themselves don't mean "wealth and power", but famous women who wore diamonds wore those names. The reader will contrast those ladies to your shy maiden mouse.

• ?

It's actually a sign that someone is a beginning writer when they want to call a character a name that "means" something.  That's not how professional writers name characters.  The meaning comes from the characterization.  What will your character do?  What will your character say?  What will your character think?  Those are the critical areas to look at.

The way to name a character is just to pick a name that feels right to you.  

Think of it this way. . . when a child is born, the parents don't say, "I think our baby is going to feel invisible when she gets older.   Let's give her a name to compensate for that."  Different people name their children using different criteria, but it usually has to do with something they think sounds good with the last name and that they happen to like.  They're not trying to negate a potential personality trait.

You haven't said when your story is set but, assuming it is in current times and your character is around 18 years old, I would say one of the following names would work:  Alexis, Riley, Sarah, Madeline, Zoe, or Lauren.  Those were all reasonably popular names around the time the character would have been born, but they are not TOO terribly popular.  Just pick a name that sounds okay with whatever the last name is that you've chosen for your character.  That's all you need to do for successful character naming.

Good luck with your writing.

I think a good name for her would be "Todda Blankenship." Sometimes I wish my name was Todd, because then I'd be able to say "Hi. I'm Todd. Todd Blankenship." Also I wish my last name was "Blankenship." But considering that I'm male, and your character is female, you can name her "Todda." If you want to stress the fact that she's female, you can always call her "Todda Blankenshippa", just to be on the safe side. You're quite welcome.