Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 month ago

Endoscopy + colonoscopy?

Hi. I’m a teen girl with anxiety, depression, and emetophobia (fear of vomiting). After having some stomach issues, my gastroenterologist scheduled me to have an upper-GI endoscopy and a colonoscopy at the same time in a few weeks. He wants to rule out IBD and hernias and things like that. I am TERRIFIED for the colonoscopy prep. My GI doc thinks I have gastroparesis (basically my stomach takes too long to empty) and I’m sooo scared that the prep liquid stuff will stay in my stomach and make me sick. I will be completely asleep during the procedures (since I’m a nervous wreck) and I’m scared of getting sick after the anesthesia wears off. I remember hearing somewhere that coming off of anesthesia makes some people nauseous. I also don’t want the endoscope going down my throat to make me feel like vomiting afterwards. I’m sorry, you guys probably think I’m insane for obsessing over this but I’m genuinely scared 😭. Does anyone have any tips or experience that they can share to reassure me? Anything is appreciated.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

At your age, I wonder why you would need a colonoscopy. Perhaps if you have a family history of Lynch Syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease  or HNPCC. 

As far as gastroparesis, I believe a gastric emptying study would tell you more than an endoscope. You would not need to prep for a colon exam and no sedation for the Nuclear medicine gastric emptying study.

Source(s): GI practice for 9 years.
  • 1 month ago

Do you eat clean?

If you don't, you review the enteric nervous system (ENS) and eat a diet that supports it.

The ENS system is STRONGLY connected to mental health and digestion.

Changing your diet may improve both functions, eliminating any need for this procedure.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

they knock you out . it ain't no thing . 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.