Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 1 month ago

Is it wrong to compare GDP per capita to Income per Capita?

Let's say I get a county's GDP per capita and then a different country's Income per capita. The income per capita was higher then the GDP per capita, could I then say the country with the higher income per capita is richer? Or is this false since they're measuring different things?

Update:

To be clear I am asking about GDP per capita, not GDP itself.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

gdp can be calculated in 3 ways and theoretically the answer should be the same. But in practice because of measurement and other errors the answers may differ. But gdp per capita is just the gdp measured by any of the three methods divided by the population of the country. So your answer the gdp per capita should theoretically be equal as gdp per capita or income per capita.

• 1 month ago

It's not "wrong" to compare GDP per capita to income per capita or any other statistic. It simply means nothing and proves nothing - but it does amuse and even excite some people?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No you cannot. Their is no gdp per capita and there is no national income.  .

• 1 month ago

i would hope not

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only GDP PPP per capita is comparable among countries. Income per capita using income approach is defined to be equal to GDP per capita. But there are statistical discrepancy. And the data are not consistent internationally.(the world bank and IMF)

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i dont think so

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is the income of a country before debts are accounted for. It's like considering someone's income before taxes and social security deductions - completely meaningless.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.