Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Air conditioner fan outside not running when it is on heat mode but works well when it is on cool mode, why?

I have changed the capacitor on the Goodman compressor unit located outside.

Inside cooling works and blows cold air too if I put thermostat on Cool mode and at the same time fan runs located at the outside compressor unit. Inside heating works and blows airtoo if I put thermostat on heat mode. But outside fan does not run in the compressor unit. Why?  Or, it is normal for this unit.Goodman model no GSC130181BA

Update:

I have another side  by side Tran unit compressor outside  to the Goodman unit as in above question. In winter the fan runs in Tran unit in winter when putting on heat mode on the thermostat settings. But it does not run in Goodman unit. I do not understand the reason. 

In both units, I have furnace located inside the home while compressors are outside. Does it mean that The Goodman unit does not have heat pump? 

Update 2:

How to know if this Goodman unit has heatpump or not? Or, inside unit has bad relay system?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

if you do not have a heat pump unit, the outside compressor doesn't turn on at all when the system is in heat mode.  heat comes from a resistance heating strip inside the indoor air handler unit.

• 1 month ago

I assume each unit has a separate thermostat. You should should be able to tell if it is a heat pump by the thermostat

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It will only work if you have a heat pump.  It will not work if you have a separate furnace.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why would it be running in heat mode?  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The air conditioning coils may sit atop of the furnace, and they likely share a blower fan, but otherwise the units operate independently of one another. Therefore, when you run the furnace in the winter, the outside unit should not run as it only functions as part of your air conditioning system.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.