Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsOther - Visual Arts · 2 months ago

what do you think of outsider or amateur art?

In my opinion, it looks plain awful, in terms of composition, color and obviously skill.  It looks like very little time and zero thought has been put into it. 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Some outsider art is good. Like: gay art; prisoners art; tribal art; etc. That depends on the artist producing it.

Amateur art is a different thing altogether. Given that this is done by people perfecting their style. Sounds like you're equating the two.

Source(s): Outsider art is part of the larger milieu of 20th and 21st century art. Much of modern art reject establish values of art inherited from the western tradition, of the renaissance
  • 2 months ago

I think it is essential. Yes, learning compositional skills is very valuable, but the human eye is hard-wired to pick out or create scenes that look 'nice'. So we will naturally go for repetitive shapes, receding lines, and subjects at advantageous intersection points. The hardest thing to learn is that less often does mean more.

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sorry you don't know anything about art but that's OK. I suggest you poke around the link below for a year or so:

https://www.metmuseum.org/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.