Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is it vital for phones bought in 2021 to have 5G?

Hi. I'm in the market for a new phone, and I was looking to buy the Huawei P30 Pro since it's going for a good price in my country at the moment, but I was wondering if I should try to look for a different phone since it doesn't feature 5G. I know that most phone/internet providers are currently establishing 5G towers in my country, but is it still too early for 5G services or will 5G be a vital thing to have on your phone within the next few couple of years? Thanks in advance:)

• chorle

If I bought a new smartphone this year, I would get 5g because by the time my 3 to 6 years of phone life is over there might actually be 5g everywhere.

I would be reluctant to buy any thing Huawei because of the security risks.

It’s not essential, especially so if where you live and work has no 5G yet. 

For the vast majority of purposes, a good 4G connection is plenty, and if you’re mostly using wifi then even 3G is adequate, although I’d still suggest 4G compatibility as a minimum.

• Sandy

if you're fine with all your phone data being secretly accessed by the Chinese, yeah, buy a Huawei.