Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsOther - Visual Arts · 2 months ago

can you make it as a self-trained artist?

I mean, will you have a hard time finding galleries willing to display your work if you don't have a formal art degree? 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

It's possible but not easy.

• 2 months ago

I know 7 that were self trained and make a living at it.  Galleries are far from the only way to do it. 

Two are freelance illustrators who do book covers and advertising images.  Three do their own online comics/graphic novels.  Two are selling their work at renaissance festivals and local events but have turned to online selling this past year. 

• 2 months ago

not if you have sell-able art...notice i did not say good art.  but for artists to really succeed they need to be good salesman..which they dont teach in school...oh and after going to art school i realized an art degree is essentially useless if you look at and are inspired by other peoples art

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.