Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 2 months ago

Did Lamarck came up with the theory of acquired characteristics ?

• Rita

Lamarck is best known for his Theory of Inheritance of Acquired Characteristics, first presented in 1801 (Darwin's first book dealing with natural selection was published in 1859): If an organism changes during life in order to adapt to its environment, those changes are passed on to its offspring.

• ?

I can't say for certain that he came up with it all on his own, but he is certainly the most famous proponent  of Lamarckian Inheritance.

I do not think he invented it.  He promoted it and argued for it, as an explanation for the existence of a wide variety of life.  Wasn't his invention, really.  He was just the best known arguer for the idea., the person who most famously wrote it down and attached his name to it.

I didn't get a textbook and I'm just in grade 9, I just asked a question what's so wrong about that

So its too much for you to take a few seconds and read your textbook.  That is truly a shame.  I feel sorry for future employers.

No, the idea had been around for a long time.

He just explained it much better than anyone had before, and used it to try to explain evolution.

He was wrong, but it was a valuable foil for the development of ideas about evolution.