Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Have I fallen prey to the "feel-good Christian doctrine"? I recently got baptized at 18, and I admit I was expecting something, I had heard ?

you lose the will to sin, you feel Jesus enter your heart and fill you with love and kindness, all you want is to seek and follow Jesus, the happiness you feel is too much for words, but I felt nothing, I smiled and pretended I was feeling the same as everyone else. I expressed this to Catholic friends at school and they found this confusing, that an adult would get baptized and expect a certain feeling, to them it is a ritual, the first step in your Christian Journey. I guess the Baptist church I go to has always made baptism sound like the endgame, the ultimate goal. They asked me if there was music, and there was sad ambient music, guitar, piano and people were crying, blowing their noses and they told me I fell prey to "feel good protestant doctrine" and I had never heard of it described that way. 

I didn't mean to pretend, but when everyone around you is doing backflips and asking "can you feel it too", you dont want to be the only one saying no. I just didn't want to disappoint so many people, or worse condemned 

Favorite Answer

As another Catholic, I agree with those who told you that you shouldn't get too caught up in feelings. God does sometimes give good feelings as a gift to people, to encourage them and reward them, but it's not something we should rely on. A shallow faith depends on good feelings like a small child depends on stabilisers when riding a bike, but just as a parent will take away the stabilisers when the child needs to really learn how to ride, so God takes away easy consolations so when it's time for our faith to grow stronger and deeper. That's a theme which all the great writers on prayer and spirituality agree on.

Similarly, there is a place for music and worship that stirs the emotions, but there is also a place for calm and silence. If we never have silence, how can we hope to listen to God? If you find your friends are too lively and excitable in their faith, maybe point them at Psalm 131 - 'I have calmed and quietened my soul, like a child quieted at it's mother's breast'. Also consider how, when Jesus went to pray, he sought out lonely places, away from the crowd, so he could encounter God in silence.

• Hogie

Baptism for the sake of baptism makes it "shallow." 

Do you know what it means to repent; what repentance actually is? It probably means something other than what you have been taught to believe.

Do you know what the gospel is; the true gospel? Again, there are many false gospels, and there is no salvation associated with believing a false gospel. In fact, there is a severe curse involved with false gospels.

Do your "homework" and learn. Don't assume. People often know what the words to the gospel are, but then add their own beliefs to the gospel, thereby falsifying the gospel in the process, without even knowing it.

The new desire to seek and follow Jesus gives you the opportunity to exercise your new faith. You have new spiritual "muscle," so exercise it to make it grow, and mature you into the person Jesus knows you can be. 

People either feel it as a placebo effect or they feel nothing and lie.

Yes, there is an issue with this.  Someone once said that you need to take the attitude that you're in the middle of a three-person line, with emotion and reason behind and ahead of you and you need to stay between those two.

JUST REMEMBER TO FOCUS ON YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD...HE LOVES ALL OF US AND THE ONES WHO ARE BORN AGAIN house the Holy Spirit in their hearts...U can pray for strength and guidance to God anytime.

• yesmar

Yes, perhaps you were influenced a little too much by the “feel good” myth.

Everybody reacts differently, and sometimes there is no “feeling” at all.

Source(s): Jesus follower

you admitted you pretended, therefor you are not serious about being a Christian.  Being a true Christian is a way of life, you aren't supposed to be baptized because you want things, you are supposed to want to spread the good news, Jesus' teachings that there is a Kingdom in heaven and it belongs to God the father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit.  It is not to make you feal good, you should have read the second testament in the Bible then you would have realized this.  

• ?

Why go to the source, the scriptures, for the meaning and purpose of the ordinance of baptism.  A concordance would be helpful.

The Bible never says that you lose the will to sin.  And water baptism is nothing if you're not already saved.  Water baptism cannot be added to what saves a person.  See 1 Corinthians 1:17.  No works can be added to what saves a person.  See Romans 4:5.  What saves a person, is believing in the Lord Jesus Christ.  That easy.  Jesus came to save sinners.  Catholic beliefs lead to torments in hell because they add works to salvation (and "purgatory" doesn't exist, but is an insult to the payment for sins that Jesus made with His death on the cross and His shed blood).  So get completely away from catholicism.  And forget the "protestant" label too.  You don't need labels.  Here is what you need to believe:  The Lord Jesus Christ is God, and He loves you.  Believing in the Lord Jesus Christ means being forgiven all sins past and future, and means going to heaven and not hell.  Death leads to immediate heaven or hell, and it is too late to be saved, after death.  All believers still sin.  See 1 John 1:8.  To be in heaven and not hell, believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, who is God and who died on the cross and shed His blood to pay for all of our sins in full, and who was buried, and who resurrected from the dead.  The only way to avoid hell is by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, without adding any of your own works.  See Romans 4:5, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, and John 3:16.