Jason Klajic asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Why is my dog so scared of me?

I’ve had my 5 Year old pitbull since she was a little puppy and she’s always been such a great dog, I’ve never had any bad problems with her, she loves people, she’s social and friendly with other dogs, I trained her very easily! So easy she wouldn’t eat treats! Just praising her and petting her after she accomplished something was always good enough for her. But she approaches me almost scared she won’t eat in front of me, she’ll wait for me to leave, she has NEVER been spanked in her life, the most that’s happened is she got told she was bad when she pooped in the garage instead of going through the doggy door outside. Why is she scared? did I mess up somewhere??

must be not you spanking her . is there another house hold in your house that also taking care of the dog when you are not with her? because if she recently having behavor since then someone else is untreated her wrong  and not getting trouble or caught by. i would put a hidden camera recorder in your house in where you can capture who else is taking her foods and being untreated her in the house when you are not around or at home. if the dog thinks you did something wrong then maybe you did some thing wrong. i hope fully you didnt yelled or scream at your dog for pooping the garage . that no no. you dont do that to no animal and plus also why you put the dog in the garage for. that not place to keep the dog inside. why you can just leave the dog inside the house with dog food and water and some fun dogs squeeky toys and a chewing dog bone and go buy a dogs trainning diapers sheets and place one near the door when you need to go somewhere  and leave the dog inside the house. much safer and keep the dog warm. garage is horrible place for dog to be. because dog need fresh air to breath and place to run around and be happy.  i think that other reasons that your dog is being different you put him in the garage. dog get stress and fear from aloud noises and being untreated being hurt . you should make some changes and make sure you take the dog outside play with him. make him feel like he getting plenty of love and attendant and that he is good boy by petting him and teach him some tricks and get him a dog treat or bone . trust worth so he knows that can trust you again.

• Rita

Most common reasons dogs may be scared of their owners are: Dog is “shy” when they come from a shelter or pet store. ... Dog was around aggressive dogs or other aggressive, intimidating animals. Owner's body language indicates that they themselves are fearful/stressed.

She may just be a submissive dog & that is her personality (dognality).  Kinda timid, scared of some things & doesn't show a dominant personality.

• jean

so she has some phobia regarding her meals. Not really anything to worry about.

Because it doesn't want to hurt you.

He is telling you, please send me back to a shelter or I will maul you.

The pit knows he is going to blow soon. I'd take heed and use my advice.

Dogs are pack animals.  As such they obey and submit themselves to whoever is the leader of the pack.  If they do not do that, there would be no order in the pack and it would be consist fighting and chaos.  When a dog is "sacred" of their owner and will not eat when they are around, that is a sign of submission.  If your dog was in a pack, they would be expected to show "fear" of the pack leader.  They also would not eat in front of the pack leader because they always let him eat first.  What you are seeing is actually very respectful actions from your dog.

It sounds like you have a very submissive dog, and also anxious.

Has she been this way always, or just recently?  If it is a recent development, you might want to get a checkup at the vet to make sure it isn't physical.

But my guess is that YOU are nervous.  You are afraid to scare her.  She sees you are scared, so she is scared too.  YOU are the BOSS.  If YOU are scared, something must REALLY be bad!  So take a deep breath, and act relaxed. Yawn. This is always calming to a dog. If she acts scared, turn your head to the side.  This is what dogs do when they want someone to calm down. This may take some practice, but I'll bet it makes a big difference.

• .

Some dogs are just sensitive little souls and REALLY accomplished little actors. My dog will pull this crap, wanting a reaction or coddling. He does this so much, my husband and I joke that we should have named him Oscar. I just brush it off and joke around, because besides his anxiety, he's normal. He just gets it in his head that somehow, him acting like a hurt, homeless, beaten Sarah McLachlan dog will get him something else. Never ONCE beaten him, spanked him, never really raise our voices at him, EVER. He came to us like this. I personally think this sparked when he was neutered. The first week was hard on him, so yes, we did help him A LOT during that time, from lifting him gently on the couch, maybe cuddling and kissing him a bit too much when he just looked so damn miserable, helping feed him and the like. We know it's all an act NOW. Another example, when we're getting ready for a walk, he'll hop around like crazy, YAY, WALKIES!!!! I put his harness on, and he goes from happy to "beaten" in a second...and I'm like...what???? Once we're outside, all tail wags and happy boy. He's so, so, SO STRANGE. He's been anxious his whole life. After consulting with a vet and a behaviorist, they both suggested to ignore the behavior and that it really has nothing to do with either my husband or I at all. No one messed up, no one did anything wrong; he just came to us a ball of nerves and while many things have gotten better (fear of trash cans, GONE, fear of wind, GONE, loud noises don't bug him anymore, for instance), some things have not and probably will not change.

I ignore it when he's like this. When I don't give him the cuddling or the reaction HE wants or is expecting, 3 minutes later, he's eating, he's playing, he's doing whatever. So really, it's not the act of whatever you did to make her scared, it's the act of what you did AFTER; that's what she wants. Ignore it. Seriously. She may do this for the rest of her life, and you will have to ignore it. 

If she's always been calm and NOT fearful and now she IS fearful, yes, you messed up somewhere.

• James

You just have a dog with anxiety. I have a dog that loves me dearly but if you try to get her to take a bath or something and you come towards her too fast she gets nervous and runs away and hides. Even if you are just trying to give her a treat after you have scared her she will continue to be fearful and she has always been that way since the day we got her. Some dogs just have certain personality traits that would be impossible to change. It might come from the parents. My dog's mom was a rescue that had been abused so maybe that affected the puppies