Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

CJ asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Need shrimp cooking advice.?

Ive been dabbling at making shrimp and it usually seems to turn out great, but this time not so much. I'm just using the precooked frozen shrimp from Walmart because I don't trust myself to cook the raw shrimp properly. Basically, I just thaw the shrimp out with hot water, de-tail, and saute on top of the stove in butter and lime juice seasoning as I go until the fluid boils down in to a paste on medium to medium high heat. This time it turned out a little on the tough side. The flavor was good but kind of a gritty finish to it. Did I saute too hot and fast? I mainly want them to turn out juicier and let like chicken. Lol. Any advice?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Defrost with cold water or throw them into the hot sauce, frozen. Pre-cook the sauce then add shrimp for the last few minutes.

• 1 month ago

Shrimp cooks like instantly, Frozen is already cooked.

If its pink, already cooked.

Gray is uncooked, then you have to devein them, best when you actually pull the legs off them.

Respect the food chain, hahaha.

I LOVE shrimp, but they are bottom feeders.

Dude, Fresh Shrimp is the way to go, butterflying will make you look like a king of the kitchen and a simple cut.

Look it up.

Stay away from that pre cooked shrimp.

By the way, if you are serving butterflied shrimp to friends over, leave the tails on.

My Father, a life long Career Chef loves shrimp tails, they are eatable, but can get stuck like popcorn does.

Most will pull them off, but hey?

Frozen shrimp is meant to be added to a dish.

Cold Shrimp is for Shrimp Cocktails.

Buy Grey, fresh if you wanna cook them.

• 2 months ago

The shrimp is already cooked.

You NEVER than any food in not water. Especially pre-cooked food. Thaw precooked shrip in alarge bowl of cold water, which you will drain the icy water and replace with more fresh cold water. The shrimp will thaw quickly.

Use a short cooking time on lower heat to prevent sthump from getting tough.

You may benefit from buying frozen UNCOOKED Shrimp in the future. This way, it won't get tough from being cooked, then heated with water, then cooked again.

• 2 months ago

Frozen precooked shrimp, no matter where you buy them, can be tough and flavorless. You did nothing wrong--it's the shrimp itself. You have no idea how old that shrimp is when you buy it frozen. The older it is the tougher it is. And you should trust yourself to cook raw shrimp--as long as it's done thoroughly, it's going to be fine. You can de-tail and de-vein it just as easily as frozen. You don't have to buy pre-cooked. The raw shrimp is far better.   

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • garry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

yes precooked are cooked to long and can be flavourless , boil fresh raw shrimp for no longer than 4 minutes or else you over cook it and it will be tough . frozen cooked shrimp should be thaw out in cold water . try cooked shimp cold dipped in a suace of 1/4 ketchup and3/4 mayonaise with a pinch of cayenne pepper . always cook the hot sauce and add the shrimp no more than 2 minutes to cook . Usually has them in a curry and onion sauce that way you can have them on rice or as a sandwich .

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Defrost with cold water or throw them into the hot sauce, frozen. Pre-cook the sauce then add shrimp for the last few minutes.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Ok. You are making a couple of mistakes. First off, use Uncooked shrimp, but buy the uncooked, deveined, tail on shrimp. If already cooked, it will turn to rubber cooking it again. And the tail gives the diner something to grab onto when they eat it. 

Uncooked shrimp cooks VERY quickly-like 2-3 minutes, it turns pink quickly. 

I enclose a quick recipe for shrimp.      

Garlic ShrimpRecipe By :Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00Categories : Seafood  Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method-------- ------------ --------------------------------  3 cloves garlic, sliced     1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes  1 tablespoon oil  1 handfull shrimp  1 pinch parsley, chopped                        salt and pepper to taste  1 tablespoon butterHet oil over medium high heat till hot. Add garlic and pepper flake, stirring about 30 seconds.Add shrimp and saute till pink. Add butter, stir till melted and coated.Serve over noodles.                                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

• 2 months ago

Thaw in cold water. 

Do not cook the cooked shrimp. 

Get raw shrimp and sauté them.  

Cook just until they begin to turn pink.  The carryover cooking from the heat of the pan will cook them through. 

If you want to use cooked shrimp completely finish your dish and add the shrimp at the last minute, the heat of whatever you are cooking will heat them through. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Raw shrimp is VERY easy to cook from start to finish. You cook until pink and no longer see-through, the end. Precooked frozen is super-low on the totem pole of freshness and taste. 

Small- 2-3 minutes per side

Medium- 3-4 minutes per side

Large- 4-6 minutes per side (I find 4 to be perfect, still juicy, but some are HUGE, and may need longer to cook)

Get the pan nice and hot, add oil/butter, and add shrimp. A good trick: look at the top of the shrimp (where the head would have been). When the fleshy bits outside it are completely opaque, the shrimp is done. Cooking already cooked shrimp means tough shrimp. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You're cooking cooked shrimp.    Of course they're overcooked at the end of a second cooking.      Would you cook a steak twice and expect it to be tender and juicy?   

Use raw shrimp.   Even raw shrimp are easy to overcook as they cook very quickly.   The good news is that it's very easy to tell when they're done because they change color.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.