Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is there evidence of changing sexuality  ?

I'm not asking this through a moral lense.

Just factually have there been cases in which reperarivr therapy has been proved to work.

Most people say it doesn't ever work and some say it always works. Isn't it more likely that it works for some but not all just like many "treatments" out there.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You mean "reparative" or "conversion" therapy (DuckDuckGo does find it). I dare say some confused people enter the program and find themselves "cured" on the basis that these treatments help them find themselves. That's not the same as actually changing sexuality. I don't believe it's possible to change your sexuality. You are what you are. You like what you like.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Look if a So called gay man all of a sudden starts having sexual relationships with a women they were not "gay" but "bisexual"and may have never explored that other part of there life. 

But at the end of the day he still likes men. You cant change who your sexual attracted to. 

• 1 month ago

There would be rare cases where people have changed.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

duckduckgo cannot find "reperarivr"

Sexuality-changing "therapy" is widely criticised because it never turned an adult gay person straight

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I have never heard of a case where it actually worked. What happens is people will lie and say they are straight after therapy in order to not have to go through more therapy and to be accepted by their family again but they always end up with someone of the same gender because they never really were straight. 

There are people that are gay or bi or whatever that are very unhappy about it and do everything they can to be straight and even they cant. If there was a "cure" then these people would have found it. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

One's sexuality doesn't change, but one's own understanding of that sexuality can.

• Craig
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Not really, no.  There ARE some people who do learn how to ignore their sexual impulse altogether and really commit to that - either due to so-called "therapy" or on their own (out of self-loathing).  But they haven't ACTUALLY changed their sexuality - they've basically just hypnotized themselves into restricting their behavior.

In most of those cases, it's a bisexual person who feels a strong attraction to their own gender, but manages instead to restrict their behavior to only the opposite gender - even if their attraction to that side is less.  Bisexuals have this option available to them, and they often manage to restrict their behavior their entire lives.  (This is the reason that the myth of sexuality-changing therapy persists, even though no one is actually CHANGING anything.)

In rare cases you find homosexual or heterosexual people who essentially swear off sex.  Since the homosexuals are incapable of enjoying sex (or even getting erect if they're male) with the opposite gender (and heterosexuals are likewise indisposed to sex with the same gender) in these rare cases the individual just stops having sex altogether.  Such attempts almost never last, long-term.

So despite anecdotal evidence that quacks and hucksters keep presenting, that supposedly demonstrates that they can "change a homosexual to a heterosexual" or "make a slut chaste", there is no actual success rate.  There're just the occasional bisexual who gets mis-identified as gay, and who ends up limiting their sex lives to the opposite gender.

• 1 month ago

As the driving force behind sexuality (gay, bi or straight) is not at all understood and neither can we explain why so many other animals and insects are doing the same as us yet alternatively other species don't even have male & female or they can be either sex,  the idea that someone can alter a persons personality is silly.     So the entire process is a mess with no clear links other than they all seem to work.

The entire thing that you suggest is rubbish.  

The number one reason we seek to change our self is because there is a problem,  you have a toothache that is a problem so you ask a dentist to change that.   You break your leg,  that is a problem so you ask a doctor to fix it. 

Now when it comes to conversion therapy (reperarivr as you call it) I ask,  how can anyone claim to be able to alter my sexuality when we cant even decide what one persons sexuality is V another.   Just as an example. I say a persons sexuality is defined by what they are attracted to,  not by what they do.    Yet others say its about what you do.    I suggest before anyone can claim to be able to convert my sexuality,   we should settle on just how to define it.     

If a person undergoes this therapy and at the end of it he says he is no longer attracted to males,  was the therapy a success or is the guy simply outright lying or is he saying what he thinks is true despite him having to actively suppress his urges to seek out same sex encounters.

Think of this like you have a married couple,   Hubby was unfaithful,  caught out and chastised by his wife he say he wont do it again and from now on there is just one person that he desire.  (his wife)

Is that the truth,  is he now a one women man or is he actively suppressing his desire when he sees another women.  You see if you have to make your self not look, not be tempted that says your still have the desires and so have not really changed.  

I suggest a better solution is to let people live their lives as is right for them.  Don't seek to mold them into what you think is right. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. Pray to God and repent. 

• 1 month ago

I have met some people who said it worked for them.  I don't think it works for everybody; maybe not for most.  But how would we know what it can do, since it is suppressed and thus hasn't been developed very highly?

I think there are probably a variety of reasons why people are homosexual, so not everybody is the same.

I once heard a lecture by a woman who works to change the sexuality of rapists - to condition them to want normal sex.  Pedophiles as well.  She also treated some gay men who were extremely promiscuous and afraid of getting AIDS, so they wanted to change.  Interesting.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.