Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Can you help me with English please?

Pedal pusher = foot.

What do "pedal" and "pusher" mean in this case?

Thank you.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

A pedal is the part of a bicycle or other foot-driven machine where you place your foot. (Cars have a gas pedal and a brake pedal. People pedal swan boats in Boston and party bikes in cities all over.)

The part of your body that pushes the pedal would, by extension be the pedal pusher. It's your foot.

There is also a garment, cropped pants that stop well above the ankle and are fairly close fitting, originally designed for bicycle riding, called pedal pushers. They don't interfere with the pedal or the bike chain like a skirt or billowing pants can.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Pedal is the part of a bicycle and you push them with your feet . A play on words involving a type of pants .

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Maybe referring to when riding a bicycle, you use your feet.

• 1 month ago

Pedal pushers are: "calf-length trousers or jeans worn by women". I presume they're called that because they're a good choice to wear while riding a bicycle, which involves pushing pedals. I've never really heard anyone refer to a foot as a "pedal pusher" although that's perfectly logical.

I looked it up and the modern pants called pedal pushers were actually created for cyclists- men as well as women, although the modern pants called that are generally women's pants.

"Pedal-pusher" (with the hyphen) is old American slang for a cyclist.

Edit: I wasn't going to post this last bit because I couldn't find any examples on the web, but I'm fairly sure that in my youth "pedal-pusher" also was used as a slang term for someone who did menial or boring work, i.e., work that's repetitive and requires no thought.

Edit: lol. In case you didn't quite get it, pedals are what you push with your feet or foot to make something work, in this case, a bicycle. The same word is applied to anything you push with your foot to make something work, for example the gas pedal or the brake pedal in a car.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Petal pushers are a style of pants.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.