Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 month ago

How do mathematical equations tie in with programming and coding?

I purchased a data structures and algorithms book for an upcoming class I have--looking through it, it is reading more like a physics book, full of various types of calculus equations, strange charts and diagrams, and weird looking notations.

How is all of this going to tie in with writing Java, C/C++/C#, or Python? I've never once thought I would somehow be needing to do calculus equations to create efficient classes and methods. I'm sorry, I'm REALLY confused!

Back in the day, my university would not give credit for both a certain math class and a certain philosophy class (logic). The saying that computers are logic applied to electronics seemed more real at that point.

Basic digital electronics involve AND, OR, NOR, and by extension, sets, conjuncts, disjuncts, and likely much more. I regret that I don't have enough education or experience to tell you how calculus, differential equations, abstract algebra, and so on are directly related to computer science.

Good luck.

There are multiple ways that serious math gets involved with serious programming.  The most obvious is when it's part of the application.  Cryptography needs number theory.  Games need lots of stuff borrowed from physics.  Machine learning is heavy on statistics.  Audio and video involve signal processing.  The list goes on...

Another is that the tools used to design and analyze programs are mathematical.  This is probably what you're seeing in that textbook.  Most of it is not calculus, since computers are mainly about integers while calculus is mainly about real numbers.  But, you are learning new stuff in a technical field and that will usually involve mathematics.  Get used to it.

How much of this you will use on the job is an open question.  Many programmers don't use much at all.  Many programming tasks just don't need it.  You don't need to know how to build a microwave oven in order to use one.  But the course you're taking is about how the oven works, not how to heat a frozen dinner.

So, don't worry.  You passed all the classes you needed to enroll in this class.  You'll pass this one too. 

By the way, if you're going to slash languages together, put C# with Java rather than with C/C++. They're different languages now, but C# started as a 99% clone of the Java language, but with .NET instead of the Java SE standard libraries.