Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 2 months ago

What kind of bug is this?

This bug is all over the place in my house. Should i be concerned? And how do i get rid of them!

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

A varied carpet beetle. These adults are totally harmless, they scavenge on stuff like old dead hairs and skin in your carpet.

Sort of cool critters, I just let them stay and ignore them.

Their larvae though (caterpillar) tend to eat natural fibers and can be like cloths moths in numbers.

These are easy to control, no concern at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varied_carpet_beetle

• Ivan
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

That rather looks like a "ladybug". Is it red with black dots on it's back? They are harmless, and they are great additions to your flower and veggie garden, because they love to eat aphids. You don't usually find them indoors though.

• 2 months ago

Varied carpet beetle.

Harmless.

To get rid of them, remove their food sources.  Dispose of trash and garbage promptly.  Vacuum up everything (and empty the vacuum cleaner bag immediately).  Any crumbs?  Any food wrappers?  "Dust" that might have dead moths?  They're not picky.  They'll eat just about any food residue left lying around, and also bits of other dead insects.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Does it look like a shield. If it does, it’s a stink bug. If you squish it, it’ll release a smell. The best way to kill it is to use a tweezer and put it into a jar of 100 alcohol and just let it die.

You can also spray it with 100% ethanol then fan it to let the alcohol dry it up. 

You can also use the wart spray to freeze it. 

It’s not a safety concern but if you don’t like bugs, they can become quite annoying since you can’t squish it to kill it unless you want to smell its stench. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Varied carpet beetle . 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.