Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 month ago

Is Stephen Hayes considered a bs artist who made his own ninja style and had phoney grandmasters?

His actual background in Bujinkan is noted. He is a legitimate grandmaster in that discipline. His supposedly modernized approach to Bujinkan (To Shin Do) however has been poorly received by many individuals in and outside of the umbrella of Ninjutsu/Taijutsu. I don't know all the major details as I've never trained in Bujinkan or any other related style. But every Ninjutsu practitioner I've met has said To Shin Do is not good and (or) that he is an overrated instructor.

I think of him in a very similar vein to Yehoshua Sofer. A martial artist with a legitimate background that somehow fell off into the deep end of nonsensical changes and questionable choices. Neither of them are complete frauds like Frank Dux. But they've essentially bastardized the very training that would make them at least somewhat legitimate. 

• Steel

I haven't read/heard that name in years... He is widely regarded as being full of bs. I don't like to disparage people unjustly, especially if I've never met them in person, but I lean on the side of that being the truth. He found a niche and capitalized on it. Someone like that would have a tougher time getting away with it now for anybody who has an internet connection and the ability to research.