Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 month ago

Is Stephen Hayes considered a bs artist who made his own ninja style and had phoney grandmasters?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

His actual background in Bujinkan is noted. He is a legitimate grandmaster in that discipline. His supposedly modernized approach to Bujinkan (To Shin Do) however has been poorly received by many individuals in and outside of the umbrella of Ninjutsu/Taijutsu. I don't know all the major details as I've never trained in Bujinkan or any other related style. But every Ninjutsu practitioner I've met has said To Shin Do is not good and (or) that he is an overrated instructor.

I think of him in a very similar vein to Yehoshua Sofer. A martial artist with a legitimate background that somehow fell off into the deep end of nonsensical changes and questionable choices. Neither of them are complete frauds like Frank Dux. But they've essentially bastardized the very training that would make them at least somewhat legitimate. 

• Steel
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I haven't read/heard that name in years... He is widely regarded as being full of bs. I don't like to disparage people unjustly, especially if I've never met them in person, but I lean on the side of that being the truth. He found a niche and capitalized on it. Someone like that would have a tougher time getting away with it now for anybody who has an internet connection and the ability to research.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.