Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Should I forget about my sister?

I didn't go to her wedding on Italy last July 2019. She was engaged to an Italian so of course the wedding was gonna be there. Initially my dad was going to pay for the whole family but an emergency surgery for my dad happened and despite my sister trying to help, only mom and dad could afford for themselves. The children have to pay for their own ticket. During that time I saved up for a nintendo switch and I decided to buy the nintendo switch because I was saving it for 8 months. My sister was mad I didn't spend on a ticket to her wedding. She called me selfish and I told her "You don't tell me how  ispend my savings. If you want me to go, pay for my ticket!!" When the Family Vidchatted her she barely talked to me. We only had 30 seconds of conversation before she requested a sibling change. She is still mad at me. 

Shorter version: Sister is mad at me because I spent $600 on a switch plus games instead of spending it on a ticket for her wedding. It took me 8-9 motnhs to get that money and sacrifice and I will not blow it on a wedding abroad. 

• Archer

Actually "selfish" is believing that everyone has to do that which you want them to do. She chose where to get married not you. She needs to get over it!

at least you got invited to the wedding, one of my brothers got married on valentines day without telling me or inviting me and he only lived one state over, i found out cause i saw it on facebook

• ?

Hello concerned one as the saying goes to each their own as well as the saying treat others as you want to be treated everyone has free will so you chose your game etc but she has a right to feel as she does to so there is no need to forget about your sister if anything pray for peace again between you and hope if you get married she will be there if possible. 

Yeah, this isn't something to worry about.  Your sister will get over it.

Why the long version when you could sum the whole thing up in less than 100 words?  I'd forget about your sister.  I'm sure she's forgotten about you.

• Audrey

I totally agree with you.  Don't worry about it. She'll get over it. If she doesn't, oh, well, no big loss.

It was your money, and you got to choose how you wanted to spend it. Your sister was acting like the wedding was about you, not about her.  I don't see how your absence could ruin her wedding or make her so upset. 

Why did you even tell her about the Nintendo Switch?  A simple "sorry, I can't make your wedding due to insufficient funds."   No other explanation is needed.

Wait until she is divorced, then bring up how happy you are you didn't blow you savings on her wedding.

You could of just said I don’t have the funds for a ticket and then bought the game console at a much later time. 

She didn’t mean enough to you to be there for her and your family on her wedding day. You deal with the consequences.