Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 month ago

Is 2 seperate routers a good idea?

SO.. me and my family use the same router connected the same ISP atm and its extremely slow because so many of us are connected to it ( 6 people ). I want to pursue streaming and bought myself an expensive pc to do so however the internet isn't good enough to let me do so.

We all are connected via ethernet so we and have tp links around the house so we've done everything possible so far. I want to get my own internet from a DIFFERENT ISP and use it for myself.

My question is, is it even possible? and will it be worth it if we are connected via ethernet to everything will the interferance be noticeable and are there any other negative sides to this?

Thanks!

If you simply add another router to your existing internet connection, you're not likely to see any significant improvements.  Why?  Because you're basically just adding more cars to an already crowded freeway.  The solution is to increase the bandwith.  (A bigger freeway allows more cars at the same time).  OR....  get a completely separate internet connection.  (An alternate road, with less traffic).  Increasing your bandwidth or adding a separate connection can be costly, but depending on what your needs are, it might actually be worth it.

Actually your best bet would be to simply get a better router, such as one of those "gaming routers" which automatically give higher priority to streaming and gaming tasks. So even if everyone in your house is doing stuff on the Internet at the same time, it will give your gaming and streaming tasks the highest priorities and preempt everybody else's data before yours.

Regarding running out of bandwidth on Ethernet, it's not likely these days, as your internal LAN network is usually 100 times faster than your connection to the Internet. So you don't have to worry about your internal network getting saturated.

you ought to be connecting the connection to the first router into one of the LAN ports of the router, as a substitute than the WAN port.

• Rita

Its okay to have multiple routers on the network, as long as they are configured correctly. You want to have a router, not a switch, acting as your gateway connected to your cable modem. ... Also, you should be connecting the connection to the first router into one of the LAN ports of the router, rather than the WAN port.

You would connect to the same service connection, adding a second router would do nothing as far as speed is concerned! Get a job and get your own internet service! And seriously dude, if you don't like the truth don't ask questions here! I see a negative check on everything that concerns the truth!

- Yes, it's possible.  Now, you must address a couple of things.  First, is permissions.  In order to have a new connection, you must pay to have a cable run to the house from the box, and you will need your parent's permission to have it installed in the house (meaning holes drilled in the walls.) Second, though nonetheless important, is cost.  Your new ISP will charge you to run the cable from the hub connector out on the pole up to your house AND may also charge you to drill the holes necessary to put in a connection to your room. this is not impossible, but again, so long as you have the bucks, and permissions you can do it. There will be no interference as you will be on a totally different connection.  (FYI, TP Links usually means you are using Powerline adapters which utilize the household electrical wiring for your ethernet. This may be part of what is slowing down your connections.)   

- My neighbor rents out his basement to a friend and the friend has his own cable TV and internet with a second wire running from the street hub.  So, I know it can be done.  You just need to jump through the hoops to get it done and then pay for it. 

• ?

you might need faster internet

Having two separate ISP connections isn't a terrible idea, just might be an expensive proposition.

You would likely need to have a separate set of "wires" installed from the service provider to your home.  The ISP will charge you to have this second connection installed.  Depending on your situation they may need to run wires from the closest utility pole or dig up your yard.  

If you have TP links (Wi-Fi extenders) installed around your home those likely do more to drag your performance down than improve it.  If you want to use hardwired Ethernet the connections should go from your devices directly to the router or a switch hardwired to the router, putting Wi-Fi in the middle just takes away bandwidth.  When you use a Wi-Fi extender a chunk of the bandwidth is lost due to the overhead used by the extender.  

I would suggest you investigate if you have a better service provider option so that you can continue to share a common connection. 

Yes, though they would need to be on completely independent connections - eg. one on DSL and one on cable, or a second phone line for a second DSL service etc.

As long as you do that - and make it extremely clear that you want a second connection & the new provider is not taking over the original one - it should work fine.

I've had two connections several times over the years, as I had separate phone and fax lines and could alternate new providers on whichever one was not presently in use for DSL.

I've ended the fax line now, but luckily have a very fast and stable connection with my present ISP.

You do seem to be doing everything else right, avoiding WiFi as far as possible.

• ?

Nope. Ypu can only have one internet connection per line. A second internet connection would require a completely seperate line and port at the exchange, which could cost thousands to install