Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

Questions about bullying/harassment?

So alot of teachers and such tell young kids "if a kid is bullying you, go tell an adult like a teacher or parent".

But what if the adult has NO AUTHORITY over the kid doing the bullying?  Like for example, some kid (who I have NO AUTHORITY over) is picking on my son/daughter.  How could they expect me to deal with it if I have NO AUTHORITY over the kid doing the bullying (like couldn't the bully just be like "you're not my parent.  I'm not gonna stop bullying.  I don't have to listen to you".

• d j

You do have the authority to bring this anti-social behaviour to his parents.

If this is your son or daughter that is being bullied, then that gives you the authority to put a stop to what the bully is doing. You protect your own. There are no rules. You don't need to contact management, you don't need to go up the ladder to the person who is in charge, you don't need to have a round table discussion with the school and the bully's emotional team, you take matters into your own hands and you put a stop to it. If that means threatening the kid, then you threaten the kid. If it means hauling him and his parents to the police station or to court, you do it. There is way to much emphasis placed on 'not making things worse for the bully' and not enough emphasis on making things right for the kid the bully is traumatizing. 

You make a complaint to the school.

If they do not take action or it continues, you make a formal police complaint.

And make sure you tell the school you will be doing that unless they take effective action.

Harassment is a criminal offence and the school may be liable if they ignore it - though it's far easier for them to pretend it does not happen, than to deal with it.