Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 2 months ago

Am I safe from sexual harassment?

I posted this question before but I guess people didn't understand what I was asking. I'm 5'11, so I am more intimidating than most women. Does this make me safer when I go out? I know a lot of women take many safety precautions to avoid being attacked, but do I have to do the same? I think my size would deter those kinds of men. 

Andrew Smith, I would never accuse a man of sexual harassment for asking me to have coffee with him. 

The way sexual harassment is defined you could never be safe.  If a man comes up and asks if you would like to have a coffee with him THAT can be claimed as sexual harassment.  Unless we change the definitions the world cannot function at all.  Now even if you take more overt actions it does happen.  People get drunk.  They overstep good bounds.  Because primarily men seek women.  Just as shoplifters take what is not theirs some men will attempt to take what is not theirs.  Unfortunate.  But I don't think that size alone would change this.

"Am I safe from sexual harassment?"

Rape / sexual harassment is primarily a crime of opportunity.  So in essence, your larger status might seem to make it less opportune that an equivalent small statured woman in similar circumstances.  But then, you're dealing with the mind of a criminal sociopath, so you can never know for sure.

Always be aware of your surroundings.  This advice goes for everyone.

.

yes, but sadly it does not mean you'll be completely safe. at least carry paper spray/pocket knife! stay safe girl