Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

If I just added non-ethanol gas to my car when I usually get regular gas, will it be a problem if I started using regular again?

I recently put the non-ethanol gas in my car by mistake, even though I typically put regular gas in. I have been told that doing so won’t be a problem and I have read that adding non-Ethanol gas to a car that typically uses regular gas won’t be an issue. However, I have also read that if a person usually uses non-ethanol gas and then starts putting gas with ethanol in the car, it could cause problems. 

So if I go back to using regular gas after the one-time use of non-ethanol gas, will it cause problems? If so, how can the gas tank be fixed to allow regular gas again?

Favorite Answer

That is not a problem in any way.

It's using an ethanol-containing fuel in an old car not specifically intended to use it which may cause problems.

Some of the materials used for O-rings and gaskets prior to the introduction of ethanol are not resistant to alcohol and ethanol fuels can cause those to degrade or release particles or rubber/plastic than can cause other problems.

The effects with those vary depending on the materials and ethanol content of the fuel.

Any vehicle designed to run on ethanol-containing fuels is fine with either type.

I rarely use ethanol  only on long trips because ethanol evaporates 2 as fast as petrol

Dude, you haven't used enough to cause "problems". Why would you go back? It  just means that the car is equipped with gasoline tubing that won't rot with ethanol.  A gasoline motor does not burn ethanol - it goes out the exhaust pipe. If you use non-ethanol, you'll get better mileage. Much better. And, more power.

No ,no problem.

EDIT: All ethanol in  gas IS made from Corn. Actually, no difference what it's made from. C3H4OH Is Ethanol, no matter if made from methane gas. Cane sugar is actually no different, except in Price, from beet sugar.  baxxie, alky fuel is Best in seasonally-used eqt. My lawnmower had a "puddle"  of water in bottom of fuel tank one early spring, no start.(this was before ethanol routinely in gas).Ii added some denatured alky to the gas, the  "puddle" disappeared. Started instantly, ran fine.

You must mean that you put ETHANOL gas into your gas made from CORN!  Fuel with ETHANOL can eat up fuel system parts, so they make spec ail cars that can utilize ETHANOL! METHANOL is the real KILLER here! it can dissolve engien gaskets and more. HOPEFULLY you are using a REAL SYNTHETIC OIL in your car! DID YOU KNOW that using PWENNZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM gives an engien warranty out to 500,000 MILES?? it NOT made from crude, but from NATURAL GAS> !it even prolongs the life of sensors and converter along with it;s use!  VALVOLINE should be off the markets! IT DISSOLVES gaskets, seals and RUBBER HOSES connected to the PCV system and the oil get DIRTIER FASTER as SLUDGE bakes into the piston rings and cylinder heads! YUCK! 

Non ethanol gasoline is also regular gas. It just doesn't have any ethanol added for emission purposes. Using non ethanol gasoline in lawnmowers and snow blowers is best because when the gas sits in the tank for half a year before using the equipment again there's no ethanol in it to start ruing the rubber in the lines and car needle and seat. just fill your tank and quit worrying about it.

No, that won't cause any problems.

If the car is designed to tolerate ethanol blends (most won't even notice E10), you will not poison it by switching fuel in either direction. Ethanol does change how the fuel burns, so you may feel a difference in performance.

It's not a problem, there's nothing you need to do. Just carry on.

• ?

No, that won't cause any problems.