Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

How to compress a large number of files?

I have many files that I don't want to delete but rather to clean some space. There are many Gbs. How can I compress it?

Update:

I'd like something that could get rid of half of their space

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If you don't want to delete it, then compressing it is not the solution.  The more space your files take up, the less likely that you will save significant space by compressing.  Also, any time you compress...you take a small chance of losing the original files, either through the compression process or the DE-compression process.

Safest thing to do would be to move the files to cloud such as google drive.  If you have more than 15GB, you can add space for a small monthly fee.  If you don't like the thought of the files hanging out in the cloud, you can always buy an external hard drive.  Or just find any hard drive and get a USB to SATA adapter to use it as an external hard drive.  Move the files to another hard drive and then (preferably) put the hard drive in a fire safe.  

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You a can use file compression, it’s called zipping them. How much you can compress depends on the type of file, video and audio files are already highly compressed so they can’t compress any further. 

1)Locate the file or folder that you want to zip.

2)Press and hold (or right-click) the file or folder, select (or point to) Send to, and then select Compressed (zipped) folder.

A new zipped folder with the same name is created in the same location. To rename it, press and hold (or right-click) the folder, select Rename, and then type the new name.

3) To add files or folders to a zipped folder you created earlier, drag them to the zipped folder.

If you are attempting to zip several GB of files be prepared for this to take a long time. You would be better increasing your storage space. As the other answerer says use google drive it has 15GB of free space. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.