Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

My son is a bastard? ?

When my son was 18 years old and graduated he pulled me aside and said I’m more hardworking than you and going to succeed more. He went off to University and than Medical School. My advice was never taken only takes advice from actual doctors. Why does my son treat me this way?

Favorite Answer

You should be proud of him.  Not acting like a total turd.  There's nothing wrong with someone having ambition and trusting his colleagues.  Get over yourself.  It also depends what kind of advice you are trying to give him...if its medical related, obviously he's going to know more than you if he's a doctor.  

Well if your son is a bastard, that's kind of your fault.

Welcome to the wonderful world of having an adult child who evidently has little patience with and even less tolerance for your advice, or for YOU, for that matter. Your son was right, he probably has been more successful than you are or were, because medicine tends to be a profession that makes people that way.

Since your boy is an adult now, there's not much you can do anymore about his attitude towards you. He'll either come around or he won't. If he doesn't, you'll need to find a way to come to terms with that.

Sometimes parents make unreasonable suggestions. Not because they don't care but because the need to parent is strong. However it needs to change as they get older otherwise you are just insulting theirs and your intelligence.

Kids should also take advice and they can discard it later. It sounds like may be you never told him how well he was doing, or complimented him perhaps? So he's saying look how well i'm doing. I think we need more information and you need to think did I ever make an unreasonable piece of advice, did I love him enough, did I make him proud?

He probably had a traumatic experience when he was a child, maybe because of something you said that you don't necessarily remember, but it hurt him, and those are defense mechanisms because he probably isn't jealous since he is your child.

I'm a girl who treats my dad the same way. I never took my dad's advice because I didn't do what he wanted me to do. I mean after all your son is a grown adult. I wouldn't call him a bastard for that. I just think he wanted to prove that he could be successful independently.