Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can a grandparent take a child to the doctor?

Okay so I'm 14 years old and my mom is neglectful. I've told her nurmous times to make me a doctor's appointment and she won't do it. so I'm considering asking my grandma if she'll do it. because she actually cares about my health unlike my pathetic alcoholic mom. is my grandma legally allowed to do that though?

7 Answers

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    laws vary, in an emergency, they would take a grandparent consent, but not a regular doc appointment.  if its true neglect report mom to child services.  can you live with grandma

    depending on the level of emergency, they will seek permission from a grandparent (ie a broken leg)

    if they don't have time, they proceed without permission

  • 2 months ago

    Whether it's legally allowed or not, it can be done, because doctors usually don't run a DNA test and will usually believe an adult who claims to be the child's parent unless it's obviously not true.

  • 2 months ago

    child protective services can do that ... they take anonymous reports online in my state

  • 2 months ago

    For routine care, parental permission is required.

    In an emergency, a complete stranger can get you to the ER.

    In the case you describe, you are a SPOILED BRAT that doesn't need a doctor's appointment.

  • L
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

    Unfortunately, your grand mother can only do this with permission from your mother.

  • 2 months ago

    Legally your Grandmother CANNOT "control or direct" your medical treatment UNLESS she was written and notarized permission signed by either one of your parents.  If you are being neglected SOMEONE has to notify Child Protective Services.

  • 2 months ago

    Yes she can and you can make one yourself too and attend on your own but if you have an adult you can go with that is best

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.